Gauge: H0 1:87
Railway Company: K.Bay.Sts.B.
Road Number: 20104
System: AC 3 Rail
Decoder: mfx+, sound
Märklin 37069 Class EP 3/6 Electric Locomotive
Prototype: Royal Bavarian State Railroad (K.Bay.Sts.B.) class EP 3/6. Original version with a steam heat boiler for passenger trains. Road number 20104. The locomotive looks as it did around 1915.
Model: The locomotive has the new mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion. 3 axles and a jackshaft powered. Traction tires. The locomotive has a factory-installed 72270 smoke unit. The triple headlights and dual red marker lights change over with the direction of travel, will work in conventional operation, and can be controlled digitally. When the headlights are turned off at both ends of the locomotive, then both ends have the double “A” light on. Maintenance-free warm white and red LEDs are used for the lighting. The older style pantographs are asymmetrically arranged. The locomotive has a reproduction of the steam heat boiler. Current-conducting, operating close couplers are mounted on both ends of the locomotive to provide power for the interior lighting in the 43320 passenger car set that goes with this locomotive. The interior lighting in the passenger cars can be turned on and off in digital operation by means of the current-conducting couplers. A eppfigure of a locomotive engineer is included. Length over the buffers 14.3 cm / 5-5/8″.
- Headlight / marker light changeover now with warm white and red LEDs.
- Factory-installed smoke unit included.
- Figure of a locomotive engineer included.
- Current-conducting, operating close couplers included on both ends, for supplying power for the interior lighting in the 43320 passenger car set that goes with this locomotive.
- mfx+ World of Operation decoder and extensive operational and sound functions included for still more operating enjoyment in the Märklin “World of Operation”.
37069 – Bavarian EP 3/6 20104 (Starting in 1926: E 36 04) The route Salzburg – Freilassing – Berchtesgaden was also part of the first electrification program in Bavaria, and an electric test operation was possible starting April 15, 1914. In 1912, the Bavarian State Railroad ordered four locomotives with a 2-6-4 wheel arrangement for passenger service on this route with its many grades and curves from Krauss in Munich (mechanical parts) and SSW (electrical parts). They were taken into operation in April and June of 1914 as road numbers EP 3/6 20101-20104. Their running gear was designed to correspond to the difficult route characteristics: The front pilot truck together with the first coupled wheel set formed a Krauss-Helmholtz frame. The rear pilot truck together with the last coupled wheel set rested in a Krauss-Lotter frame. The first runs showed the marvelous design of the running gear without a fixed wheelbase. The good running features free of hunting and jerking were praised. A special feature was the steam boiler for train heating located behind the front engineer’s cab. Its smoke stack projected from the roof. The front pantograph therefore had to be placed in the middle of the locomotive. Electric test operations to Berchtesgaden ended however as early as August 3, 1914 due to the outbreak of World War I. Electric operations did not resume until April 10, 1916. On the DRG, these locomotives ran starting in August 1926 as road numbers E 36 01-04. Their served was reduced drastically with the introduction of the new E 44.5 starting in 1933/34, and they were finally retired between 1941 and 1943. Road number E 36 02 was then converted to a snowplow and survived. It can be admired today in the Bavarian Railroad Museum (BEM) in Nördlingen.
A passenger car set to go with this locomotive is offered as item number 43320 exclusively for the MHI in the Märklin assortment.
Summer New Items 2015
See at Märklin.